Gifts of Stocks & Securities
We accept donations of publicly traded securities and donations directly from your retirement accounts.
If the stock certificate is in your possession:
All you need to do is sign a stock power and have it signature guaranteed. Any bank official can provide this service for you. Then mail the certificate and the stock power to Michelle Keenan, BPR Membership Director, at the address below in separate envelopes for security. We'll use the postmark for the gift date, and credit you with the average market value on that date.
If you have a certificate that represents more shares than you wish to donate, we will need your social security number and a letter detailing how many shares you wish to donate and how many shares should be re-issued in your name. It generally takes 4 to 6 weeks for you to receive your new certificate.
If the stock is held in a brokerage account:
Please instruct your broker to transfer the shares to Western North Carolina Public Radio. Our brokerage account is set up with Raymond James Financial.
Account #: 80302051
Contact Person: Joel Adams
Phone #: 828-251-9700
The shares will be electronically transferred. We'll use the date that the shares enter our account as your gift date, and credit you with the average market value on that date. We also ask that you give BPR's Membership department a call or send a letter to the address below to let us know the gift is in process. Very often, the shares are transferred into our account without information that indicates the donor's name. The phone call or letter will allow us to match up the donor's name with the correct stock gift, and insure that we can acknowledge the gift accordingly.
Western North Carolina Public Radio, Inc. (DBA Blue Ridge Public Radio / BPR)
Asheville, NC 28801
IRA Charitable Gift Option
If you are 70 ½ or older you can lower your income and taxes from IRA withdrawals by making a donation to BPR directly from your IRA account. In 2015 Congress enacted a permanent extension of the IRA charitable rollover provision, making it a great option for retirees.
Blue Ridge Public Radio is part of the 501(c)(3) non-profit, Western North Carolina Public Radio, Inc. (Federal Tax ID #58-1445328). Your plan administrator should mail your distribution to the following address Blue Ridge Public Radio, 73 Broadway, Asheville, NC 28801. You can download a sample letter to send your plan administrator making your request.
GUIDELINES FOR IRA ROLLOVER GIFTS:
- You must be at least 70 ½ years of age.
- You may distribute up to $100,000, which will count toward your required minimum distribution.
- Distributions must be made directly from the IRA trustee/administrator to the qualifying non-profit organization.
- Gifts must be outright; no material benefits can be received in exchange. Gifts may not be rolled into an income producing vehicle.
- Gifts are not included in federal taxable income, thus no charitable deduction is allowed. State rules vary and individual information should be sought from a professional.
- Gifts may only be made from an IRA. Gifts from a 401(k), 403(b) ad 457 plans are not permitted.
WHAT STEPS SHOULD YOU TAKE TO MAKE THE GIFT?
- Contact your IRA administrator for directions on how to initiate the transfer.
- Contact BPR’s Membership department at 828-210-4800 or firstname.lastname@example.org for any other assistance we may be able to provide in requesting the transfer and completing the gift.
All information is intended to be illustrative in nature and may not cover all issues pertinent to every individual situation. Blue Ridge Public Radio suggests consulting with your financial or legal advisor to determine how this legislation impacts your own personal situation before making any decisions.