© 2026 Blue Ridge Public Radio
Blue Ridge Mountains banner background
Your source for information and inspiration in Western North Carolina.
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Asheville plans more work on contentious bus system changes

Asheville Mayor Esther Manheimer, second from left, speaks during Thursday’s meeting of Asheville City Council.

Mark Barrett
Asheville Mayor Esther Manheimer, second from left, speaks during Thursday’s meeting of Asheville City Council.

Asheville City Council essentially gave its blessing Thursday to postponing consideration of a revamp of the city’s bus routes that sparked significant opposition from people dependent on the transit system.

Council had been scheduled to vote next week on a proposal to eliminate some less used bus routes and increase the frequency of service along key city corridors. The intention was to get more people to use the system but without a significant increase in city spending on transit.

But Mayor Esther Manheimer this week said a vote would be postponed because of concerns by many city residents that losing routes would be a hardship for people who do not drive or live in neighborhoods that would no longer be served by the system.

Assistant City Manager Jade Dundas told Council at a briefing Thursday that city staff will look for other sources of funding for the system, regional partnerships and other means to make buses run more often.

The move comes at the end of a $300,000 public involvement process led by consultants that began last year. The goal of the process was to improve the system while keeping its cost roughly the same, the city’s transportation director said earlier this year.

Council Member Maggie Ullman said the community discussion has highlighted the importance of the bus system and work on the plan provides information that will still be useful in guiding changes.

She said she still wants to see buses run more often but, “I don’t want that to be at the expense of our current riders.”

No formal vote was taken, but no Council member opposed the delay Thursday.

Mark Barrett is a freelance reporter for BPR News.