old fort

Matt Bush

Outside of Old Fort, the Western North Carolina railroad bends around Andrews Geyser.  The man-made fountain is named after the vice president of the company that owned the railroad, built in the 1870’s. 

Now, the thousands of laborers who did the work are finally memorialized at the site too.  

Cass Herrington / BPR News

A two-story mural depicting a migrant farm worker with an armful of leafy produce is splashed across the side of a packing barn in Old Fort.