Pisgah Health Foundation has announced its first grant awards. The legacy foundation based in Transylvania County awarded over $2.5 million dollars to 46 programs.
Pisgah is one of six legacy foundations that was created after Mission Health System’s sale to for-profit HCA. Pisgah was previously Transylvania Regional Hospital Foundation. The foundation must now support the community since the hospital is for-profit.
This first grant cycle prioritized Henderson and Transylvania county but future grants will also cover Haywood, Madison, and Buncombe counties.
“Nonprofits were very engaged. Our grant committee exceeded 250 volunteer hours reviewing funding requests,” stated Foundation Chair Cathleen Blanchard in a press release. “Given our funding parameters, programs that demonstrated the greatest need and promised the greatest impact in specific social service areas were selected. We value their hard work.”
Pisgah says that it held over 30 listening sessions with over 100 organizations across Western North Carolina. The grants focused on food, health determinants, social cohesion, education and housing.
Grants Committee Chair Dr. Jim Wright says that the foundation received over $30 million dollars worth of requests.
“Since we can’t fund every request, we plan to advocate for all non-profits that participated,”says Wright in a press release.
Pisgah’s second grant cycle has already closed and applicants must finalize their submissions by December 31. The committee will begin the next review in January.
Here’s the breakdown of funding by topic:
Food and Food Insecurity: $210,313
Health Determinants: $984,525
Social Cohesion: $399,950
Here’s the full list of organizations approved for funding:
• Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project (ASAP)
• Children and Family Resources Center
• Davidson River School
• The Family Place
• Muddy Sneakers
• Smart Start of Transylvania County
• St. Gerard House
• Meals on Wheels of Brevard
• Sharing House
• Transylvania Farmer's Market
• Center for Women
• The Free Clinics
• Inheritance of Hope
• Mountain Roots
• SAFE of Transylvania County
• Vocational Solutions of Henderson County
• All Souls Counseling Center
• Blue Ridge Health System
• Blue Ridge Community College Educational Foundation
• Community Action Opportunities
• The Haven
• The Housing Assistance Corporation
• Only Hope WNC
• Safelight, Inc.
• STEP WNC
• Boys & Girls Club of Transylvania County
• Brevard Music Center
• Creating A Family
• Crossnore School & Children's Home
• Henderson County Education Foundation
• Land of Sky Senior Companion Project
• Mills River Life Enrichment Center
• Rise and Shine
• Southern Highlands Reserve
• Green River Preserve