Blue Ridge Public Radio is growing! Join an award-winning, public media organization, home to BPR Classic and BPR News and serving listeners in 13 counties across Western North Carolina.
Have you ever dreamed of being one of the local voices on your public radio station? BPR is seeking candidates for a part-time announcer position. You’ll be the local announcer of daily national programs like 1A and The World, as well as other parts of BPR’s programming. As local announcer, you provide continuity throughout the shows, keeping listeners engaged and voicing local elements including business sponsorships, local and national program promotion, and station messaging.
If you’re interested in this position but aren’t sure if you qualify – apply anyway. We know strong candidates come from backgrounds other than broadcast, and we will provide training for those with potential to thrive in this position.
We’re looking for candidates who:
- Have an engaging, conversational style and strong command of your vocal delivery.
- Are meticulous about details and accuracy.
- Easily pick up new technology and software.
- Are an excellent communicator and team player who also carries out responsibilities independently.
- Are an effective problem-solver who proactively seeks solutions to challenges.
- Are punctual and reliable.
- Are excited to support BPR’s mission of serving the public and our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Are passionate about and committed to news and cultural programming.
What we’ll provide you:
- Investment in your professional growth through coaching and mentoring.
- Training and professional development opportunities.
- A collaborative environment where managers welcome and support new ideas.
- State of the art broadcast facility completely remodeled in 2020.
- Experience with vocal delivery in broadcast, podcasts, performing arts or other relevant field.
- Experience with audio recording equipment and digital editing platforms.
- Solid writing skills, including crafting messaging in a conversational style.
- Solid computer skills (Microsoft Office Products or Google Suite).
Location: Asheville, NC.
This position is for up to 15 hours of work per week at a rate of $20/hour. The announcer pre-records their breaks, so the hours are semi-flexible. This position is not eligible for full-time benefits.
This job posting is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
How to apply:
Submit your application through this online survey which requires you to respond to short answer questions, record several prompts and upload your resume. Cover letter is not required. If you have questions regarding this process please email email@example.com.
Check out our careers page to see other openings at Blue Ridge Public Radio.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Blue Ridge Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions at Blue Ridge Public Radio are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, family or parental status, national origin, age, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Blue Ridge Public Radio is actively working to implement diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives at all levels of its operations – internally and externally - and is committed to equitable policies and practices. We strongly encourage members of traditionally under-served and under-represented communities to apply to our open positions.