The next meeting of the BPR Community Forum is open to the public and will be held on Wednesday, March, 11, 2020, at the Sylva Public Library, 310 Keener St in Sylva from 4:00 to 6:00 pm.
The Forum meeting will conclude with a Listening Session hosted by members of the BPR News team and journalists from the Smoky Mountain News. The public is invited to voice concerns about important issues facing their communities. Public feedback will help both news organizations improve service to the region during this busy election cycle.
The Community Forum is a volunteer advisory group that provides community input to Blue Ridge Public Radio about programming and public service. The 40 volunteer members of the Community Forum represent different professions, geographic regions, and individual needs and interests of the listeners and the communities BPR serves.
Meeting three times each year, Community Forum members learn about public radio, meet BPR staff members, and have regular communication with the station about programs and public service. Members also serve as BPR ambassadors to their communities.
The Forum is governed by a steering committee, responsible for basic organizational matters. Public radio listeners who are interested in becoming a BPR Community Forum member, are invited to complete the online application form by clicking Community Forum Application. For more information, click on this Community Forum link or contact Blue Ridge Public Radio by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 828-210-4800.
BPR Community Forum Meeting Agenda for March 11, 2020:
- Introductions (Trina Royar)Summary of previous meeting (October 23, 2019 - Goodwill Training Center, Asheville, NC) Robert Milnes
- BPR 2025 Strategic Plan and upcoming community engagement activities - David Feingold
- Solicitation for new members
Break (5 minutes)
- Group Discussions: Ideas and insights for election coverage - Andrew FletcherMembers of the Forum will divide into three discussion groups. Members of the BPR news staff and journalists from the Smoky Mountain News will attend along with BPR development staff.
- Summary and Next Meeting issues: Trina Royar, Andrew Fletcher, and Robert Milnes